Skip to main content
St. John's Episcopal
Tuesday, October 20 2020

With the coming of autumn, elements of the Part I renovation project are falling into place. (We could all use a bad pun about now, right?) With God’s help, we continue to move steadily through this long, slow process, despite the pandemic, economic downturn, and much uncertainty. Here’s the latest:

Building Permit

We have our building permit! It expires March 31, 2021, so by not later than mid-March we will write a letter to the city’s Planning Department to request a one-time extension, as previously planned, to carry us into the warm weather construction season.

Asbestos-Containing Materials (ACM) Abatement

You’ll recall from previous reports that we found a considerable amount of ACM in the Sanctuary’s interior wall texture, as well as in the roof tar seams (but not the roof shingles). The ACM must be removed before Part I re-roofing and seismic upgrades can begin. Contracting for ACM abatement directly, rather than as part of the larger Part I construction contract, will save us money.

We have invited three asbestos contractors – Rhine Demolition and Dickson Company of Tacoma, and Advance Environmental of Olympia – to bid on removal of ACM from the roof tar and interior walls. We will ask them for three price quotes:

  1. Cost to abate all roof tar ACM (about 500 LF) and only minimal wall texture ACM (about 1,240 SF) from the east, west and south interior walls;
  2. Cost to abate all roof tar and all wall texture ACM (about 9,000 SF) from the east, west and south interior walls;
  3. In conjunction with #1 above, a ROM estimate to abate the remaining wall texture ACM (about 7,760 SF) one year from now (November 2021) from the east, west and south interior walls. 
    We can only expect a Rough Order of Magnitude (ROM) estimate for the scope of work in #3. ROM estimates cannot predict future pricing with high confidence due to the many cost variables of construction, such as the rate of inflation, construction bid climate, and the potential ongoing disruption to supply chains caused by COVID-19 pandemic. While less reliable the farther out one projects, ROM estimates can help us better understand the likely cost impact of deferring most ACM abatement work until at least late 2021 or beyond.

Our plan is to conduct a site walk-through for the interested contractors this week or next, with a firm due date for bids in early November. After evaluating the bids, the Renovation Committee will forward them with an award recommendation to the Vestry as early as its November meeting for consideration. Of course, the decision to contractually commit to this work will depend on funding and require Vestry approval. The actual work can be completed in about one-two weeks’ time.

Contract for Pre-Construction Services

We have begun talks with FORMA Construction about engaging them contractually as our general contractor for Part I construction. Initially, we can contract only for pre-construction services – preparatory things, like more accurate pricing based on approved permit plans, current economic conditions, and most efficient means and methods of construction – for a fixed price. Then, if the capital campaign raises the necessary funds and the Vestry approves, we can add the Part I scope of work and its dollar cost to the same contract. FORMA often structures contracts this way to reduce the risk exposure for both contracting parties. It’s a prudent way to best position ourselves for a successful construction project.

Please let me know if you have any questions on these topics, or other questions related to the renovation.

Respectfully submitted,

Lou MacMillan

Chair, Renovation Committee

Posted by: Lou MacMillan AT 02:52 pm   |  Permalink   |  Email